Recent Comments

An Account of February Revolution


Then MAJ REBECCA M AROMIN NC acted as the built-in, technical adviser to husband, then MAJ SAULITO R AROMIN (INF) PA on Reformed the Armed Forces Movement(RAM) activities during those times. During those days, Lito’s nearest assignment was Camp Capinpin, Tanay, Rizal so that problems beyond her means were being consulted through LTC JAKE MALAJACAN or COL GREGORIO HONASAN who were assigned at Camp Aguinaldo. A lot of times, Becky would receive messages from Lito like…” Go and see Sir Jake..Tell your problem. He’ll help you…” This camaraderie and personal closeness (Lito and Jake worked hand -in- hand at ISAFP and 2ID, PA) made it easier for Becky to serve as “pasabilis”/courier of Lito to LTC Jake. It made her a covert supporter of RAM. Being his confidant and sounding board, Lito appeared consistent with his answers when asked /prodded several times about his tasking by the group- that he’ll enter Malacanang Palace through the JP Laurel gate, with back up troops of Col Honasan and LTC Malajacan, get then Pres Marcos for presentation to the Filipino people. And by that, he’ll be forced to step down as President of the Republic of the Philippines. Killing Marcos and his family was not part of the scenario.

A week before the target date, Lito invited me to fine dining. He said…”I want you to have a dinner with me at a very cozy place—candle- lighted, soft music and good food…” My answer was”…Parang last supper na ah…” And we laughed. We ended up in one of the famous steak houses in town.

A squad plus of Lito’s men was housed with us at our San Mateo residence. Marketing and their meals became my responsibility. It was also a personal opportunity and joy with Lito-- painting with black, blue, violet and green the bullet-proof, white life vest he was to wear during the mission. During the process, I asked him,”..Your chest and probably your trunk will be protected. What if they shoot you on the head? Are you going to use your helmet? I know you don’t like it because it’s heavy, but please wear it…” It was fun and joy with Lito, because we were like children scribbling the art effects we wanted. Oh yes, that light moment of regressed-like- behaviors and shared laughters. How can I ever forget that. That was real fun!

There were reports of increased troops and military equipment inside and surrounding areas of Malacanang Palace. I told him,..”With those, are you going to survive with only a few scout rangers tagging along and the equipment you have? He never uttered a word. From my heart and coming from his heart, we know, we’re unsure of his fate. But one thing he knew well…I was certain to lose him for country’s sake.

Early the following morning, I found myself walk-kneeling to the altar of Quiapo church, praying to our Lord of Black Nazarene for Lito’s safety. Next thing I did was heard mass at Sta. Cruz church, had confession and focused more to the Lord for Lito’s sake. At home, fervently praying the rosary with Lito and the children was not forgotten. We entrusted everything to the Blessed Mother and to Him.

I was taking Masters of Hospital Administration at UP-Manila, when our class president called for the stand of the class, because the faculty members were already boycotting their classes in response to Cory’s concerns. I told them…” In the AFP, we are never taught how to boycott, rally or demonstrate. I am also for some of Cory’s concerns, however, I intend to absent myself from class, not because I join the boycott, but because I have an impending problem…” When they heard the news over the radio and television, they very well understood about the impending problem I said in class.

Having poor sleep for several nights, I had to sedate Lito on the night of Feb 21. He was so thankful because he was rested the whole night and will be able to attend to the expected tasks.

At 2 pm of Feb22, Lito left for Metro Brigade after receiving a phone call. After 3 hrs, he called saying, “Di na matutuloy, but leave the house with the children as planned…”I was so happy the whole night. I had a good sleep, felt contented and really happy knowing we will not lose him. I woke up in high spirits. It was our eldest child, Sherlock, who informed me during our breakfast of Feb 23..”Marcos is looking for Dad…” I just took it with a smile and told her..”Why will he look for Dad? He’s nobody..” I forgot his aborted mission, perhaps overwhelmed by the idea that he’s out of danger and will stay with us. At 7am, we’re ready to move to my brother’s house. Before that, I handed an envelope with money to a neighbor as thanksgiving offering during mass that morning. She told me about Lito’s arrest . Still composed and determined, I proceeded to Fort Bonifacio bringing along his personal stuffs. I met him only after his presentation by Marcos to the members of International Press Corps in Malacanang. He narrated to me what transpired the whole night—interrogations and the like. And that sensing he’ll be dead, he took the courage of saying what he wanted to tell Marcos during that time like…”You don’t know what is happening in the country side,Sir, but field commanders like me are aware of all these…He added, …”You should have seen Bongbong and the men with him!..” My answer was…”It was a normal reaction on his part. You should understand that…”

When Cardinal Sin was asking people to flock to EDSA, I phoned Lito with the permission of a security officer. I asked Lito for his consent, for me to go to EDSA. He said,…”We have our participation ahead of them, I’m still here, just stay home and be with the children. It will soon be over..”

Our young children (ages 6, 5, 2, 1) were innocently shouting and jumping for joy every time they see their father on TV screens on Feb 23 and 24.

At 1am of Feb 25, my husband asked a soldier to fetch me, to Metro Brigade inside Fort Bonifacio . I brought a box of pandesals for Lito’s troops who were also detained there. I overheard someone saying..”Sa EDSA ang daming pagkain, salamat…may pandesal tayo…” Again, I was not able to see him as desired. Immediately, Lito was reunited with RAM group, attended a meeting with them inside Camp Aguinaldo and was tasked to do some clearing operations at once.

COL BOBBY SANTIAGO PA ( the security officer for the detained officers) and Lito were co-workers at ISAFP and 2ID,PA before the February Revolution. Before Lito was brought to Malacanang, he gave these words to Col Santiago,..” Sir, huwag mong pababayaan ang pamilya ko..”. When Marcos and his family left Malacanang, it was Col Santiago who uttered same statement to Maj Aromin and quoted..” Lito, huwag mong pababayaan ang family ko..”

After his assigned tasks, he arrived home at 6 pm of Feb 25. A joyous meeting with me and the children took place. He showered us with kisses and embraces and mused…”I share with you and our children the moments, happiness and fruits of this February Revolution…”

Lito was back to his battalion in Guinayangan, Quezon after 2 days….

Repost from Aromin's Xanga

About me

More videos from Guinayangan here on
GR Tv ON YOUTUBE
Related Posts with Thumbnails