Recent Comments

Nuestra Senora De La Paz (Our Lady of Peace) And In Recollection Of “Karakol”


Every last Sunday of August, Manlayo a small Barrio in Guinayangan celebrates its “fiesta” in honor of Nuestra Señora de la Paz. Lavish with a day to recon my childhood memories, with my parents’ beliefs and my curiosity in etymology of name and words like "De La Paz". I feel, I was at least obliged to share a story about something. If my usage of “Wiki” is correct, ,Our Lady of Peace or Queen of Peace is a title of the Blessed Virgin Mary in the Roman Catholic Church. She is represented in art holding a dove and an olive branch, symbols of peace. Her official memorial feast is celebrated on January 24 each year in some other countries. Elsewhere, the memorial feast is celebrated on July 9.In the contrary, perhaps our day of celebrations rooted from social agreement from our old ancestors or early Church leaders then, which is, up to now it is last Sunday of August. But I believe it was chosen with a purpose. Personally with my assent of beliefs that she was chosen because of her being “Star of the Sea” , as Manlayo needed guidance and protection from the sea. August, perhaps it’s the month of “high tide” as ebbing of water observed to be relatively high during this season. Perfect for the “Karakol” or fluvial parade disembarking from boat when the Sea “Karakol” reaches each end and begin the famous “Street Dancing”. To my recollection this is the only Month perfect to this occasion. This is the month my father recall their catch was called “LAMAK” kaing-kaing(bountiful). This is the perfect moment for benedictions of her grants, celebrate thankfulness to the sea with its abundance.


My father’s “Basnig”crews use to tell folklore that in the night of the Storm Winnie(Typhoon Dading), year 1964 a lady appear near the shore and as if she was protecting our barrio. True or not, people like us don’t mind it at all. Respect and Thankfulness need no proof of factualism. A fire broke near the chapel of Manlayo during the 80s destroying and burning almost 50 houses with the chapel and houses behind her seems to be protected from the fire. Amazingly, chapel suffered only a minor damage from convection fire cause by adjacent burning houses. The Pura, Estenso, Beligon families and rest of my friends lived there were among the families witness one of the many consecrations of our Patron Saint.


No fiesta is fiesta if there was no “Karakol” when I was a kid ,I was about 8 years old we don’t mind the bountiful of food at the table as long as we witnessed the “Karakol at sea”. Watching from the distance, with my other friends, while clenching the mast of a docked boat, near our house to keep us from falling. We still have to climbed second level of boat mast to perfectly focus our sights. I have promised myself that if I reached my maturity I will not missed the “Karakol”. It’s funny that it’s my gauge of puberty though I can swim half a mile with that age I was still not capable of panic commotions when something happen in the boat. Dangerous as it looks I have never witness any disaster related to Karakol. My mother was hailing me to climb down the mast it’s dangerous she said. I shouted back “I NEED TO SEE THESE!”. “OO nga!” My friend seconded. Oh, I miss the day.



During those days, no quip! We (Manlayohin) had the most extravagant celebrations of fiesta among the Guinayanganin. It’s not a show-off but it’s our beliefs that sea will still bequeath as with the same abundance. Visitors and guest from all over town crowd our streets. It’s a feast! Indeed a feast!


I wished I could witness that again before I set sails from this life. My father departed us months ago. Though he has prevented us from going to Karakol, because of his overprotective type then, He knew we will enjoy it. So to the next generations of Manlayo, it’s your prime undertaking to bring those memories back and you shall capture it in Blog like repository. Use facebook or other sites. You! ,now had the tools and technology to at least share it with others. Unlike what we have here, though vividly clear it is not shareable by words. Happy Fiesta “Mga Kababaryo”. Mabuhay ang Manlayo.!!

-By Cornelio Cenizal

Repost from simpleoddmind.wordpress.com

About me

More videos from Guinayangan here on
GR Tv ON YOUTUBE
Related Posts with Thumbnails