Recent Comments

The Letter of a White Giant


To the people of Guinayangan Quezon
   
My name is Earl Carter, the proud son of Guinayangan-native Rosalinda Manalo Carter.  A few months ago I was fortunate enough to be able to visit Guinayangan for the first time with my mother. My only regret is that I didn't visit sooner, also that I wasn't able to stay longer.  It is such a beautiful place, a great experience for me, the one that I will remember forever and hopefully I will enjoy it again. 

I would like to use this as an opportunity to thank everyone in Guinayangan, especially to my family and newfound friends. I thank them for their hospitality, for being so friendly and courteous, and for welcoming me in as one of their own.  Some of the local kids even gave me a new nickname:  "White Giant" and "American Giant". My friends here in the U.S. have decided to make the nickname permanent--they thank the kids for that one. 

While walking near a fishport with my mother, a group of young children started following us, they were curious and giggling. They are amazed at how white my legs (my father is of Irish descent and my complexion is very light) and how big my hands and feet were.  Some of them even measured their hands against mine and then laughed, which made me and my mother laughed too.

 I got the chance to meet all my cousins and aunts and other relatives. Sadly I did not make it there in time to meet my grandmother, Lucia Manalo, who was brought home to heaven before I arrived.  I enjoyed the conversations I had with my cousins William, Wilson, Rona and Rochelle, as well as Rochelle's boyfriend Christian.  I thank all of them for their excellent English, since I haven't learned Tagalog yet. Gladly there were no nosebleeding incident happened.



I got the chance to play basketball with my cousin William and Christian and many of the local kids at the basketball court. I am so amazed at how some of the guys were able to play in slippers or even barefoot. They were very fast and agile too. 

I saw my family's coconut farm at Brgy.Dungawan and met friends of the family there. I met a young boy named Martin, who enjoyed coloring the Ninjago drawings that I drew for him.  My mother and I also took a boat ride to the lighthouse built in an island called Parola. My younger brother Neil also visited this place when he was a young boy. He loved swimming there with all the friends he made while visiting Guinayangan. 

We had a family picnic at the Salacan Resort. I enjoyed delicious food cooked by my Tita Norma.  We enjoy the nature and the swimming pool. I shot a lot of family pictures to keep.



I remember when I first arrived in this lovely town; it was about 4:30 in the morning. I was able to take pictures of a beautiful sunrise in a place called Bayside Inn.  Those were the first of many pictures I would take throughout the town during my visit.  Hopefully someday I can return again with my mom, my brother Neil, my sister Joy, and her son Joey (Joey would love to meet his cousin Jason).  In fact, my brother was jealous that I was able to visit Guinayangan  as an adult. Maybe because he was only five years old then when he visited this place, not old enough to really remember the whole experience.

My brother Neil (5 years old then) during his visit in Guinayangan.


I also enjoyed riding the tricycles all over town, even up the hills to the coconut farm.  I met my Tita Lilia and my cousins Bubut, Lengleng, Lala, and Boyet.  I also met many of my mother's friends and their families.  And everyone was so nice to me, welcoming me into their homes and offering all types of delicious goodies.



I saw my Lola's house where my mother was raised in Brgy.Manlayo.  I was there when the schoolchildren went back to class in June. I watched as my Tita Baby supplied ice water and snacks to the kids.  I gave some of the kids some chocolate candies that I brought with me, and they have requested that I bring more when I return.  They watched with curiosity as I made little paper throwing stars for them. I think I made at least 20 of them---they were very much in demand.


 Soon I will return on this lovely place---so please tell the kids that the "White Giant" will return . . .  bringing more chocolates and paper throwing stars. 






Earl Carter

About me

More videos from Guinayangan here on
GR Tv ON YOUTUBE
Related Posts with Thumbnails