Recent Comments

My Personal Experience

My NSPC Awards

It was in year 2005 when my journalism days started. I was only a grade five student then, without any background what this field really means. All I know is that journalism is about writing… writing… writing.

At first, I thought that it was impossible for me to win this kind of contest. I came from an unknown school and it was impossible for me to beat those students from private and city schools. As time passed by, I realized that journalism is very interesting. Little by little, I understand more. I attended several trainings, and I became a part of our school paper as a reporter and a copyreader too. My adviser taught me a lot of things and we really worked hard.

At last! All of my hard works paid off. After spending much of my time answering numerous copyreading exercises instead of watching TV and chatting with friends like my classmates usually do, I found myself standing on stage together with my adviser while receiving certificate, medal and trophy. I won in the Division Schools Press Conference, and surprisingly, I also succeeded in the regional level. I can’t believe that I will be the representative of Region IV-A in the National Schools Press Conference!

The NSPC 2006 was held in Aklan, Region VI. I came with my advisers and my colleagues from the Division of Quezon. We’re all excited and very nervous as well, hoping to bring home the bacon.

Since it was a 10-day conference, we had a perfect time to wander the province and to witness its uniqueness. We went to different places, famous parks and beaches. We never missed this chance to visit one of the Philippines pride, the astonishing Boracay Island.

After the contests and so much time of strolling, the conference came to its end. The awarding ceremony was the most nervous part of all. I’ve never felt that nervous before. But when I heard my name as the 5th placer, my heart thumped faster. I can’t believe it! The first thought that came into my mind was this: “If this is a dream, this is the most beautiful dream I’ve ever had.” But then, I realized that it wasn’t a dream after all. My colleagues were there, cheering for me, my name was on the screen, and my adviser was hugging me very tightly. “It’s real! I really won!,” I said to myself.

That award gave me an inspiration to pursue more. The following year, I became the editor-and-chief of our school paper. I also won in the press conferences and I was able to join the NSPC again. Fortunately, I won for the second time. I was the second placer and the happiness was twice as last year. God was very good to me. He let me experience this feeling again. I felt so fulfilled.

Last year, I won the highest award that a campus journalist can achieve. I was the Outstanding Campus Journalist of the Region IV-A CALABARZON and became one of the awardees in the NSPC held in Naga City.

I’m glad that for every award I received brings happiness to the people around me. I thank God for this talent and for this knowledge that He gave me. I know that He didn’t give me that singing-dancing talent, but then, you let me have this wonderful talent that brings self-confidence in me.



The Best among the Worst

Why is that when we heard the word “old”, inferior always comes to our minds?

Don’t you know that old woods are best to burn, old wines are best to drink and old friends to trust? But can an old, rusty metal that almost looks like a big trash can be consider “the best”?

While walking around the campus of Guinayangan National High School, one huge rusty metal caught my attention. The big machine-like structure of this corroded metal made me think that it was just a trash from somewhere until I found out that it was an important thing to Guinayangan. It was the first-ever generator that enlightened the dark nights of the town.

Year 1970, during the administration of Mayor Mariano Roldan, a generator was bought for Guinayangan, to be used by the town people from 6pm to 12 midnight.

Many residents of this town were flabbergast with this unfamiliar thing because that was the first time they saw a generator (the generator that time was as big as it is today). Many didn’t have any idea of what was the use of this strange thing until it was introduce to them by its owner with pride.

USEFUL!

That was how they portray that generator as a machine. They construe it as the light of their lives in a dark abode. They cared for it a lot as it was a treasure to everyone. The entire domicile wanted it. Everybody was longing for it. The generator is very important to them because they don’t have electricity yet.

They used it in different ways such as ironing clothes, watching TV, reviewing lessons and doing household chores.

Since then, the elite people of the town also bought generators because of the advantages it brought to them.

Truly, the first generator of Guinayangan contributes such a big part in the civilization of the said town. It gave idea to the people of Guinayangan how important electricity is.

After knowing all of this, it gave answers to my questions. From there, I knew the reason why it was inside the school instead of lying in the dirty junk shop together with the other junks. I’d realize that not all aged are inferior. Instead, they are the one that possess the real meaning of beauty.

Don’t you wonder why wines taste good when it was extremely fermented and woods burn the best when aged? Simply because it has the greatest factor that moulded them to perfection—the miracle of time. What gives us mark is that what was left behind by the ‘old’ that becomes a big part of our lives and even serves as the basis for the next innovations, just as what the generator is, the best among the worst.

By: Beejay A. Castillo

Repost From Guinayangan National High School Website
Photo Courtesy Guinayangan National High School Website

About me

More videos from Guinayangan here on
GR Tv ON YOUTUBE
Related Posts with Thumbnails